Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bizarre moose collision hospitalizes student


Local firemen were called early Monday morning to respond to what at first seemed to be a virtually non-existent accident. Around 6 A.M. Monday, college student Andrew Portman's car hit a moose and flew off the road. According to the fire department, the car hit the moose, and then crashed through the trees on the side of the road to slide to a halt in a field just beyond the trees. Portman is currently in the hospital recuperating from a sprained ankle he sustained staggering away from the car, dazed.
"To be perfectly honest, I had no idea what had happened," Portman said. "I was just driving down the highway, and I was really tired, so I must have nodded off for a second, and then next thing I know I'm in some field. The car was absolutely destroyed. I managed to get out when the door fell off, but then I saw blood all over the front of the car, and really freaked out, started running and twisted my ankle really bad. I had my cell phone on me, and I managed to call 911."
The accident bewildered the firemen, who drove down the highway trying to find the accident, and stopped when they saw a dead moose on the side of the road and expected to find a car nearby.
Fireman David Cripps said during accident cleanup that "It took us about a minute and a half to figure out what happened. There was just this huge moose on the side of the road all beat up and pretty obviously hit by a vehicle of some kind, and we just puzzled over it until someone saw a couple of trees broken down in the woods beside the road, and decided to check it out. They found the student, and he was okay, and what was left of the car, which wasn't much."
Andrew Portman is due for release from the hospital on the 30th pending further medical testing.
"I don't mind the hospital, I'm lucky to be alive." he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment